Notes on room rental in Canada – Contract with tenant, not landlord (sublet)

캐나다 룸렌트 유의사항 – 집주인이 아닌 세입자와의 계약 (서블렛, Sublet)

Notes on Room Rent in Canada – Contract with Tenant, Not Landlord (Sublet)

Room rental is the most preferred type of housing for Canadian work-holidays and international students. This is a living method commonly referred to as self-sufficient living in Korea by renting a room in an apartment, condo, or house.
It is not advisable for underage elementary, middle and high school students to live alone in a foreign country for various reasons such as safety. However, if you are studying abroad or looking for a job as an adult, renting a room on your own is natural.
If you are entering a university, using school dormitory is a good way, but you need to consider that it is relatively expensive, and there are not many opportunities to enter the dormitory due to fierce competition, so if you want it, it is better to apply as soon as possible.

The most important thing to keep in mind when living in a room rental is the servlet. Don't take it for granted that the person you signed the contract with is the landlord. This is because some of them rent entire houses and then recruit new tenants without the landlord's consent.
The biggest risk in this case is the relationship with the actual landlord. Both subtenanting and subtenanting without the landlord's permission are prohibited in Canada. If the landlord takes issue with this, you may be involved in a lawsuit, and you may have to leave the house without getting your money back. In addition, when a fire, theft, damage to facilities, or an accident occurs at home, we face complex and serious issues regarding responsibility.

Therefore, when renting a room, you must check whether the room you are renting is a servlet or not, and if it is a servlet, you must check whether the landlord agrees. Unlike Korea, where a certified copy of real estate registration can be freely issued due to the jeonse system, it is difficult to confirm that you are the landlord, so this should not be taken lightly.
Servlets are fundamentally prohibited in ‘apartment’, which is a company whose landlord is not an individual. And in the case of renting an entire house, such as a condo, contracting through a real estate agent rather than directly is the only way to prevent damage. In Canada, tenants do not pay real estate brokerage fees.

If you have any questions about matters to be noted when renting a room, including how to check whether the person signing the room rental contract with you is the actual landlord, please feel free to contact Edu Canada, a Canadian study abroad agency.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

You may also like View all